Friday, May 29, 2009

Stage managing part 2

So the show is over with now and it was great. And I've been really busy which is why it's taken me so long to get to part 2.
So I left off with the show I did in college. For that show I did costumes: repair, organizing, and quick changes. I enjoy costumes. I love everything about them. The styles and eras, the fabric types and colors, and the great hats, shoes, jewlery, ect to acessorize them with. I enjoy making them. I don't always enjoy repairing them, although I like the challenge. I like designing them, but I don't get the chance too often.
My other great love is lights. I love designing lights. I love when you get the colors just right and it adds to the mood of the scene. They are some of the best special effects as you can get with live theater. I like the challenge of being the follow spot operator during a dance number. I even enjoy (crazy as it sounds) hanging out of the ceiling or balencing at the top of a ladder or cherrypicker to adjust the angle of a light.
But for this show I was just your basic stage hand, translation: I move lots of furniture in the dark. I had a good time, but I decided now that I've lost all those muscles from all my time off and now that I've had a kid- being the furniture hauler is not the job for me. I'll stage manage, I'll do props or costumes or lights. I'll help haul a few things, but I'm not meant to lift chaise lounges over my head any more. I should also stop trying to move large tables or stacks of chairs by myself. And I should spend the extra $10 for the super comfy shoes since I stand the whole show. Any ways bed is calling me so I guess there's going to be a part 3 and that's where I'll put the pictures.

1 comment:

H said...

I'm catching up on blog reading now, sorry I've been out of touch.

I did the spot light for a beauty pageant once in high school. Strangely, it was fun hanging out in those rafters (or whatever) and the challenge of following a dance was interesting.

I'll look forward to the rest of the posts that I missed.